Get the best celeb gossip with the Daily Star Showbiz newsletter
Busted star Charlie Simpson has spoken out about the "terrifying" moment his son was rushed to hospital after he suffered secondary drowning.
The 37-year-old singer – who welcomed his second child Jago back in 2018 – took to his Instagram account to share the horrifying moment during a family day by the pool.
As he shared a heartbreaking snap of his four-year-old son in the hospital bed, he explained how the horrific incident happened during their previously fun-filled holiday.
In full view of his 98,900 followers on Instagram, the star shared a lengthy post explaining how it happened as he offered advice to fellow parents online.
He wrote: "Hi all, I wanted to share a terrifying experience we had recently with my youngest son Jago, in the hope that if it helps just one person avoid a similar situation, it will be worth it.
"Jago is a strong swimmer for his age and he was swimming underwater but suddenly came up spluttering and coughing.
"At no point was he left unattended. It was momentary, nothing seemingly unusual for kids to experience.
"We got him out and he seemed fine and happy and was completely normal for the rest of the day."
The star went on to share how his son's symptoms developed throughout the day, explaining how he became "lethargic" during dinner and falling asleep in his mum's arms before he woke up "projectile vomiting."
Charlie explained how doctors initially diagnosed the tot with food poisoning, but after he recalled to the medics how Jago suffered a coughing episode at the pool, he was urged to take him to A&E.
The doting dad added: "Before the doctor left, I suddenly remember Jago coughing in the pool that morning and I remembered reading about a condition called secondary drowning, so I relayed it to the doctor.
"After hearing this, his demeanour changed and he told us to go to A&E straight away."
The boyband star recalled the "horrific" hour-long journey to the hospital as his song got increasingly worse as they rushed to the emergency room.
He continued: "Jago's condition deteriorated and he seemed to be drifting in and out of consciousness.
"He was rushed through to have CT scans and X-rays' and to our absolute horror, we were told that he had water in his lungs and was minutes away from pneumonia."
Charlie's worst nightmare soon came true when he was given the devastating diagnosis as doctors confirmed he was suffering from secondary drowning.
The adoring dad went on: "He spent the next three days in hospital and I'm so thankful for the amazing care he received. It was the worst thing we have ever experienced.
"The scariest thing of all is that had we not taken him to the hospital when we did, the outcome could have been very different.
"After doing a lot of research, secondary drowning is seemingly quite rare but even so, not talked about. It takes less than half a glass of inhaled water to drown.
"Symptoms can start as long as 72 hours after the event which can make them hard to diagnose. These include vomiting, fever, laboured breathing and lethargy."
The singer concluded the painful statement by adding: "I truly hope no one ever has to experience this but I hope to be able to raise some awareness of this frightening condition in case they do."
The loving dad and his family were soon flooded with support and messages of sympathy by his loyal legion of fans online.
One user penned: "Oh Charlie, what a scary experience for you all!" followed by a black heart emoji.
Another added: "Gosh I'm so glad he is OK, you must have been terrified. Sending lots of love" which they signed off with a kiss.
A third gushed: "I hadn't even heard about secondary drowning before today, so thanks for the education. And I hope Jago has made a fast recovery."
- Breaking News
Source: Read Full Article