Brits warned making a cup of tea in the office could be dangerous

Brits warned making a cup of tea in the office could be dangerous

Scientists have warned Brits working in an office that making a cup of tea could be 'dangerous'.

They have advised office staff to seriously consider improving their hygiene standards after a large amount of dangerous bacteria was found by scientists when examining communal workplace kitchen items.

UK scientists said they found evidence of bugs that are typically spread through faeces on items such as kettles, fridge door handles and coffee machines, as well as microwave buttons.

READ MORE: You've been making tea wrong – brew expert shares trick for best cuppa

Dr Adam Roberts, a microbiologist from Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine and chief researcher of the campaign said that results predict that staff are 'not washing their hands thoroughly, or at all, after going to the toilet'.

He added: "The potential knock-on effect of this is that, if an individual who is more susceptible to infection, then touches those same surfaces, they may be at risk of becoming ill."

Dr Roberts and his team took swabs from shared kitchen areas in office spaces and construction worker break rooms and found several types of bacteria including E.coli – a common bacteria known to cause gastro-intestinal illnesses such as diarrhoea and UTIs.

The team also discovered pseudomonas, which is linked to respiratory infections, and Klebsiella, a microbe that is spread via faeces which can lead to pneumonia. The latter was found on nearly all 11 kitchen items that were swabbed.

Every item also had a presence of fungi – with fridge door handles being the worst culprit, according to the scientists.

However, they said there is an easy solution to lower the risk.

Dr Roberts suggests: "The simple way to try to minimise this risk, though, is to practise good hand hygiene as much as possible.”

Director of public health for Warrington and commissioner of the research Thara Raj added: “Fridge door handles, coffee machines and kettles seemed to be the places where the most bacteria was, all of which are items that we’ll likely touch several times each day.

“The key thing to remember is that these bacteria are completely invisible to the naked eye so, while these items may look clean, they could in fact be home to lots of different microbes."

The study comes as part of a wider campaign known as Simple Things – a programme aimed to encourage people to take simple actions to reduce the spread of common illnesses, such as flu, norovirus and colds.

The study was created due to norovirus cases being at the highest they have been in more than a decade.


  • Size 22 model exclaims 'big girls wanna have fun' as she proudly flaunts figure
  • New mum strips to knickers to show what stomach looks like 4 months after birth
  • Only 2% can spot the odd animal hidden amongst camels within 11 secs
  • 'I want to post lingerie pics online to boost my confidence – but is it cringey?
  • For more lifestyle stories, sign up to the free Hot Topics newsletter here

Source: Read Full Article